Thursday, August 21, 2014

Snakes, Roses, Stars, and lot's of bread

 

Hiss! I'll bite you!
So, I'm trying something a little different with my pictures today. Bear with me, dear readers.


It's day 4 with no AC and a balmy 89*F, when last I checked the thermostat. We have all the doors thrown open and with that comes the risk of snakes. Which, wouldn't be a huge problem, except that we are in South Georgia, dear readers, and the last time we had a snake in the building it was a juvenile water moccasin. Not what you want to find in your place of employment, I assure you.


On a more pleasant note, I got a new rosary today.
Much better than the last one I bought, I don't feel like this one will break apart in my hands. The beads are wood, with little swirls carved into the sides (they're supposed to look like roses) and the entire thing smells like roses....or rather, like rose water. I've never found roses to be very fragrant, but if distilled in water there is a very distinctive scent. The weight of it is nice, and while it's certainly not my favorite rosary ever, I think it'll do nicely for everyday use.

I finally finished my hat. The pattern is called the Star of County Down and it took me two days of sporadic knitting to finish it. It didn't turn out exactly like the pictures. There's supposed to be small "holes" all around the outside edges, in between the points of the star. The holes are actually there, but for some reason you can't tell. I wet blocked it last night (on a dinner plate, as per their instructions) and wore it part of today (since I can't wear hats at work).

And yes, I did giggle like an idiot when The Star of County Down started playing on my iPod.

I love "Celtic" music. The High Kings, The Dubliners, The Young Dubliners, The Bollox, Gaelic Storm, you name it. I even like Dropkick Murphys, which has a bad habit of being unintelligible.

I did some baking this morning before work, as well as scratch making some mashed potatoes to make boxty with tomorrow.

And mash! two, three, four!
First off, let's give a round of applause to everyone who came before who had to cook. Scratch made mashed potatoes are brilliant....except when you have to mash them with an old potato masher such as the one seen here.

Great upper body work out though! Burn off the calories of those potatoes before you even get the chance to eat them! Of course we have a food processor.....somewhere. It was given to my granma by my mom and has never once been taken out of the box. I however have no idea where it is, and did not feel like trying to find it when the more *ahem* traditional tool was right there.

The entire point of making mashed potatoes from scratch, after all, was the clumpy texture that instant potatoes just don't have.


I'm pleased to report that, though I lack stamina and upper-body strength, I did manage to successfully mash the potatoes into the absolutely perfect looking product you see to the right!

Totally worth the extra effort! Nothing beats scratch made mashed potatoes, though I fully admit that I have no problem using instant and will continue to do so most of the time because, as much as I love scratch made potatoes they are incredible time consuming.

Of course, adding to the amount of time it took was the fact that I was also up to my wrists with a loaf of Old-fashioned Spiced Gingerbread and a loaf of Classic Irish Soda Bread.





In the mix


Getting hot in here

 


Ta-da!
 
 
 The Gingerbread is brilliant. Well, I say that, I haven't actually been able to cut into any of my new creations (which sucks) because they hadn't finished cooling when I left. So they're all sitting on the counter, wrapped in clean dish towels.  Based off the batter (and yes, I did lick the beaters like a small child) the gingerbread is really good, but also really heavy on the ginger. I just followed the recipe.

Dry ingredients first




Hot hot hot!


tad to dark on top, but still perfect!
The Soda bread looks really good to. My mom gave me a bag of the stone-ground whole wheat flour, so I didn't have to buy it. Apparently it's been taking up space in her cabinet for a while now. It only took 30 minutes to bake, so I might try baking a loaf every few days if it's good. I  bet it'd go really well with the recipe I have for Beef and Guinness stew I have. Last time I made the stew it was a little greasy from where I didn't drain the meat well enough, but this time I'll be better prepared. Of course, I have to cut the recipe in third because of how much is makes! But I'm sure it'll be great. 

I've decided to go to morning mass tomorrow because I have so much to get done. I'm going over to my mom's to make egg-rolls, and I'll take the stuff for the boxty so I can get those done to. When I get home I've got cleaning to do, and then I'm going to wash two of my new pint jars and make Onion marmalade. Unlike the stew recipe, which makes enough to feed a small army, the marmalade recipe makes enough for two little jars, which are then stored in the fridge. If I like it, I can always multiply the recipe and make a proper batch to be stored on the shelf until opened.

Anyway, I'm back to baby knitting, so I'd best get to it. A quick break for dinner, and then to work!

I'll talk to ya'll tomorrow!
Yours always,
Tara