Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My first pair of socks and a meeting with a priest

So, going in chronological order here, last night I finished my first pair of socks!
Okay, so the picture isn't the best, but still! Look! I made socks!

I am so ridiculously pleased by this fact. I mean, I love weird socks! Crazy colors, patterns, you name it. Well, I'm not fond of socks with individual toes, but that's just a personal preference. I feel ready to take on more challenges now! Today socks, tomorrow mittens! And then baby dresses! And maybe a sweater! 

But I'd better pace myself. My knitting list is already about half-a-mile long. Still, I made socks.

They are not, of course, without flaws. The gusset on the outside of the left foot is a little wonky looking, and I think I dropped a stitch on the leg of the right one and then picked it up like two rows later or something. I don't really know. The point is that I finally made socks! I did the heel flap and turned the heel, and I did lovely little cables which required I juggle six needles and they turned out really well! I've still got about a quarter of the one skein left, and then an whole skein that hasn't been touched. Maybe I'll try making a hat, for me, not for a baby. 

I have to finish the baby knitting first though. Two pairs of green mittens, one pair of blue booties, three hats: blue, green, and striped. Then I have to make a pumpkin hat, and I then I can start working on Christmas knitting!

Anyway, I just got back from a local parish. I went to morning mass first and I wish they had of put on the website that they say the rosary in the mornings! I'd have been there earlier for that! I caught the last decade, and managed to stumble along with them. I've memorized Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be, still struggling with Hail Holy Queen. Anyway, went to mass, the people were friendly, but not smothering. Afterwards, met with the priest.

This is the meeting I've been in knots over since Thursday, dear readers. Obviously, I was worried for no reason, but as you learn quickly, I'm naturally a nervous Nelly. It went pretty well. I had to really think about what he was saying because English isn't his first language, but if he could overcome the struggle of learning a new language, the least I can do is to try my best to understand him. 

He's going to try to put me in touch with the deacon in charge of the RCIA program so that he has my information and so that there's a support team of sorts (and he encouraged me to drop in on every class I could), but said that, if I don't hear back from the deacon by the end of the week, to email him back, and he'll take care of it. 

I'm actually kind of excited. I've been trying to get in touch with someone for about a month, and now, finally! I see results!

All in all, I'm pleased. I still prefer the cathedral, but that might be because it's big enough that no one notices me fumbling along in the back. 

Wednesday I'll go to the Cathedral for mass, just because otherwise, I won't be able to go. School starts back that day, and we live right across from an elementary school. At the time I'd have to leave for any of the other parishes, it'd be almost impossible to get out at our road. But Sunday I'll go back to this one, and I might go on Friday. 

Speaking of the rosary (well, that was a few paragraphs up, but still, bear with me) I've been making use of EWTN's broadcast of the rosary every night at 9:30. It can be a little difficult to sit through, the music they have in the background occasionally drives me nuts, and the Hail Marys are said a bit quicker than I'm entirely comfortable with, but the point is that I'm do it! Small victories! I struggle to focus when I do it on my own, so the broadcast is a good thing. 

And that's it for now, dear readers. I'll check back in with you later. 
Yours always,
Tara