Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Truly Brilliant morning!

I decided to go to mass this morning, despite a late night (12:50) and having gone yesterday and I'm so glad that I did!

Immediately following mass I ran outside to put a quarter in the meter (mass ends about 7 minutes before 8, which is when the meter starts to really be an issue) and met a lovely lady who I shall simply refer to as Aunt D. Aunt D is new, and moving here shortly. I actually saw her at mass yesterday, but I was in a rush yesterday (bad Tara!) and didn't say anything. Today though, it turned out really well.

While we where talking, I was led to give her the Our Lady Star of the Sea chaplet that I made. I paid the meter and went inside to sit in front of Mother Mary and finish the rosary I had started to say before mass began (I can usual get a decade or so in before mass starts), and then Aunt D and I went to breakfast.

There's this really nice Parker's on Drayton that I call the Fancy Parker's because it's got all sorts of little gourmet or really high quality food items, and we went there and had breakfast. It was really nice because we sat and talked for about an hour before I showed her where Saints and Shamrocks (the closest thing we have to a Catholic bookstore, as far as I know) and then parted ways.

There are two things that make this whole thing so fantastic! Number one is how happy Aunt D was! She loved the chaplet! And was so happy to just sit and talk over breakfast. Second great thing is that I got an aunt out of it! I love when you just click with people and become friends! And when you become family? Brilliant!

Of course, I'm at work now. Speaking of! I just picked up 8 more hours so I am officially full time again! Isn't that great? And my boss and I have already talked about me having Tuesdays off come September for the RCIA classes.

There's also a place not to far from the church that has beginner's Irish dance classes about an hour before the RCIA classes, so I'm hoping I can take that, and the RCIA, plus pick up a class or two for the fall mini-mester at STC.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to be really sneaky about where I'm at. Anyone who knows South Georgia worth a fig knows where the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is. No point hiding it. I live within easy driving distance of Savannah, Ga.

Anyway. Aunt D and I also saw the strangest thing while in the Fancy Parker's. Giant Wooden Rosary beads. And I don't mean like the ones you get for teaching toddlers to pray the rosary (no, I'm not secretly looking at baby stuff in the hopes of one day having progeny of my own despite telling my parents and everyone else that I am "never having kids", not at all *pfft*) I mean like 4 1/2- 5 ft long rosaries made of 1/4 in to 1/2in wooden beads and a 2 1/2 in long crucifix. And it was white.

Weirdo that I am, I'm tempted to go back and get one, just because it's such an interesting rosary, though I'll be honest, I'd probably have it a week before attacking it with brightly colored acrylics. Either way, I'm leaving it be for now. I can probably make one myself, or find one else where cheaper.

Aunt D also gave me a lovely turquois and gold rosary over breakfast. We were talking about it (because of the giant wooden ones) and I mentioned my strange relationship with rosaries (I partially blame them for the fact that I'm converting) and she just pulled it out and gave it to me. It was nice. I'm going to pray with it tonight just for her.

We talked about a lot of things. Her daughter, my mother, my pub that I want to open, her parents, and it was brilliant! I'm so glad that it happened. Nothing like this ever happened while I was attending the Baptist church. I feel like today is just a taste of what might be in my future if I allow it to be.

I'm also incredibly thankful for second chances, because I could have given it to her yesterday, but because of my nervousness and rushing I missed the chance. But God and Mother Mary (yes, I know she had a hand in this whole thing, it's got her name written all over it!) knew that we both needed this, and it all worked out!

Aunt D is headed back to her home to tie up lose ends, and then she'll be moving to Savannah and I'm so excited! It'll be nice to know someone at the Cathedral when I go (Besides Mr. J, I mean. I don't see him every time). I'm thinking about maybe inviting Father Shrek over for dinner one day, but that I think can wait for a little while. It's not like I live alone, after all, and my granma might be opposed to that. I don't think she would be, but it's best to make sure, you know?

Downside to the new hours is that I have to reschedule my appointment with the tattoo artist. I don't really mind to much, I mean, those hours will help me out a lot, but at the same time, I'm really interested in seeing what she did with my (really pitiful) rough draft. and to talk color. Of course, H is still a little disappointed that I haven't gone to see her guy (because he's the best, obviously) but I like this place. It's where I got my first tattoo (same artist too) and I was really pleased with it. It's also really close to the mall, so when I (inevitably) get the munchies after getting inked, I have lots of options.

Also, I'm almost finished with the stole! I'm a little more than half-way through the crocheted edging and boy does that make me feel like I'm all thumbs! I miss my knitting needles! It's been a while since I last crocheted anything, so I feel so awkward! But it's good practice for that sweater I really want to make. As soon as I finish I'm going to finish the other bootie and then make my socks! Then a pair of mittens and a hat, followed by Christmas knitting! I've got the yarn and the pattern for a lovely butterfly shawl for my granma (she loves butterflies) and that's where I'll start. Then socks for Sasquatch, and part one of the knitted advent calendar, that is to say, the garland it sits on. Hopefully by then I'll have money again and can buy the yarn for Little Bird's Christmas stocking and P's socks, as well as the eyelash yarn for Little Bird's dress. I've also still got to make her pumpkin hat. That, thankfully, will not be as bad as that awful cabbage patch hat.

Wow, I've written a lot tonight. I am so sorry. You are all wonderful for reading this far!

So, question time! Have you ever had something happen that just had Mother Mary's hand-writing all over it? Have you ever had a priest over for dinner before? Let me know! I'd love to hear from you!

Yours always,
Tara