Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Our Lady Star of the Sea chaplet and day 3 with no AC

I got the center and the crucifix for the Our Lady Star of the Sea chaplet I wanted to make today. It did indeed turn out to be a chaplet, and not a rosary, though it was sort of up in the air for a while, but given how long it would have been, judging off ten of the pearls strung together, it would have been highly impractical as a rosary.

The crucifix and center are both bronze, the chain and pins are iron that's been treated to look like bronze. It's not an exact match, but it's close enough. The 12 beads of the main section are fresh-water pearls, and the three beads connecting the center and the crucifix are mother-of-pearl. It's all nice and appropriately nautical, so I'm happy with it, even if I do think the mother-of-pearl beads might be a bit big. Besides, I kind of like the way it looks. Now I have to figure out who it's for.

Sometimes, I make things, just to make them, and I don't know who it's for or if it's for any one at all! Sometimes, the item becomes mine, sometimes, I figure out who the owner is, and sometimes I'm left with a funny feeling that it isn't mine.....but I don't know who it's for. Very frustrating. 

I'm still knitting away at my hat. I've got about 15 rows or so left, so I should be able to finish it before I leave tonight. Then tomorrow it's back to booties and mittens. *sigh*

In the spirit of today's episode of Mother Angelica Classics (yes, I have been watching Mother Angelica, and I LOVE her!) I have decided to treat my current frustration (i.e. knitting the same three baby patterns over and over) as a gift towards sanctification. This is not nearly as spiritual as it sounds, and is based primarily off the fact that if I don't think of it in those terms, I'll be tempted to strangle Shawna with the yarn!

Hey, I never said I was a good Christian, just that I'm trying my best.

It's really cool though, because I didn't even know we got EWTN at the house! I mean, I listen to the radio all the time on my computer, but we actually get the tv channel and it's kind of nice! I sat and worked on my hat for an hour earlier while watching Mother Angelica. Very enjoyable.

Friday promises to be busy. I plan on making Vietnamese egg rolls, going to mid-day mass, and making boxty and ginger-bread. Oh! and soda bread. I might do the soda bread and ginger bread tomorrow, along with the mashed potatoes for the boxty. Oh! And onion marmalade! I have a fantastic cook book of Irish recipes.
 
I have no idea who David Bowers is, but I will forever adore him for writing this cookbook. It has the best recipe for shepherd's pie ever! And that's coming from me! I love shepherd's pie! It's like the ultimate comfort food (tied with Granma's spaghetti) and I could literally eat it every day of the week with no guilt. The first time I made the recipe from this book, I was sick with a small cold. First bite was pure heaven!
 
I pretty much just want to make every recipe in this cook book.
 
Except the oysters. I'm not very fond of oysters.
 
Anyway! Wow, that was off-subject. Sorry. I just really love to cook. I'll try to post pictures of my dishes, but I make no promises as to the quality of those photos. I'm not a photographer.
 
It's day three with no AC at work, but today I've got a fan, so it's not quiet as miserable. It'll probably be November before they get it fixed, and then the heater will go out! Ah well, such is life.
 
I might be back on again later this evening, but I don't know yet. Until later!
 
Yours always,
Tara