Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Birthday, boxty, and cleaning

So I am now officially 22 years old. Today has largely been marked by a degree of self-indulgence (hello four empty coke cans) but I have accomplished a few things.

I got up early and went to mass. Now whether or not I'll make it tomorrow morning as well is up in the air, but I do plan to. Honestly, getting up at 6am is not what I want to do, no matter how much I enjoy the end result (that is, attending morning mass). Truthfully, I can knock it back to 6:20, because I don't leave until 6:45 and 25 minutes is more than enough time, even on the morning when I take a shower.

But I got up this morning and went to mass. Then I went home and took an hour long nap because I had a hard time getting to sleep the night before and was still really tired. I'm hoping a shot of amaretto before bed will cure that problem.

After that I worked on my room some. I reorganized some shelves and pulled some books and clothes down to go to goodwill. I still have several more drawers to go through just puling out the stuff I don't wear to get rid of. And more books.

I will be honest, I struggle to get rid of books, even the ones I don't really like. It's just one of those things. I'm a book person. I mean, thinking about the Library of Alexandria makes me want to cry. All those books, gone. And it's even worse when you consider just how much work went into those books! They were hand written!

I've made a decent amount of progress though, so it's not too bad. I've got three boxes to unpack still though, not including my key-board that's sitting in the shed. I need to get the empty boxes out of the corner, and try to move the end table. I'm hoping to maybe replace it with a bookcase, albeit a thin one. Maybe it can hold the million and one odds and ends I have. I also have a bunch of knick-knacks that have to go.

To this day I still can't understand why having a statue of a laughing Buddha is okay but a saint medal is not. My mother gave me the little Buddha, but I bought the saint medal. Of course, now I have several of them, but the first one I bought was St. Catherine of Alexandria, patron saint of librarians and book-keepers.

My dad gave me the St. Barbara medal I have. She's the patron saint of the Field Artillery (and more besides, but that how I know her best). Then I got St. Patrick, and just recently St. Brigid and Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. Mom never liked me wearing the St. Catherine medal. (but she bought me a laughing Buddha?)

Anyway! So as part of my dinner I had half a boxty. I've decided that, the next time I make these, I'm going to make them thinner. Also, my marmalade did not set, so I have pickled onions, and not onion marmalade. Still tastes good, but also still disappointing.

I've got a lot of cleaning to do tonight when I get home though. The exterminator comes tomorrow and I need to get it cleaned up so he can do his job, regardless of whether I'm there or not. This means that I need to get the pile of clothes on my bed bagged up to go, and get the pile of clothes on my floor sorted and put where it goes. I need to move my knitting tower onto it's new home, and maybe try to move entertainment center slightly so that I can get the last piece of it in place and out of the middle of my floor.

Of course, I'd also like to finish this stupid stole....so I'd best get to work.

Good night dear readers,
Yours always,
Tara