Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A truly profitable if somewhat hectic day

As has become my custom, I dragged my tired and lazy body out of bed at 6 o'clock in the morning to get ready for mass. Truthfully, I could leave it until 6:30, because I usually only take about 5 minutes to get ready anyway, but getting up at 6 gives me time to check my email (I get the Morning Offering from the Catholic Company) and maybe grab some toast with a liberal amount of marmalade if I'm so inclined.

Mass was lovely, as always. It's nice to get there a little early, and see how the alter glows when they turn the lights up. I'm still stumbling my way through mass, but everyone is kind enough not to say anything.

After  mass I got some breakfast and walked through the cemetery reading the plaques until the office opened at 9. They weren't there, so I killed another 15 minutes walking to the nearest store and getting some tea before heading back. I went ahead and put my name down to be contacted about the RCIA classes in September, and I already talked to my boss about working on a different day so I can attend the classes.

This was followed by a quick stop at the catholic store, where I got a new rosary and another guide to mass, as I gave the other one to L. I had to rescue my scarf (with it's tempting tassels) from an adorable dog at the catholic store, I then proceeded back to the Cathedral for a few moments of prayer before braving traffic in Savannah.

I then headed to my college to pick up my Serve Safe certificate and stopped by Michael's to pick up some chain and wire for the OL Star of the Sea chaplet (rosary? chaplet? we shall see) and while there picked up brown yarn for a cabbage patch doll hat for Little Bird. I also swung by World Market and picked up a fork, spoon, and plate for work. I'll add a coffee cup a little later in the season....and possibly a tea pot and cozy.

I purchased two of the Shining Light dolls last night. St. Patrick and St. Nicholas will be arriving tomorrow, along with a cute little purple and green bird themed baby blanket. I might get OL of Knock and OL of Lourdes later. I'll be honest, I still really want the plush St. Patrick.

Speaking of plush toys, my beloved teddy bear, who has slept in my bed and kept monsters at bay for nearly 20 years, is in need of repair....again. His heads coming off again. This time on the other side. I've decided to cut all the strings and just reattach it all the way around instead of trying to do a patch job. It's a terrifying thought, but it needs to be done.

I also received my books today. I received the following:
The Bad Catholic's Guide to a Good Life
The Bad Catholic's Guide to Wine, Whiskey & Song
The Bad Catholic's Guide to the Catechism
The Protestant Dilemma
Rediscovering Catholicism
Vampire Knits
and the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

So far I've already read the Protestant Dilemma, which pointed out things I already knew about Protestantism and gave the Catholic truth (jury still ou...oh who am I kidding? We all know how this will end!) instead. I've also started in on The Bad Catholic's Guide to Wine, Whiskey & Song.

Can I just say how much I love this book? It's funny! It has all sorts of lovely little tidbits and a fantastic flow. And the jokes regarding the subject (such as suggesting that Frenchmen burning a liquor producing Abbey as being proof of the reality and activity of Satan) make it an entirely too funny read!

That, I think, is one of the more brilliant aspects of Catholicism. It's summed up in a quote I've heard a few times "Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine, there's always laughter and good red wine".  There's a fantastic love and enjoyment for life in the Catholic church when it's following it's own teachings. Protestants can often forget that we are allowed to enjoy.

Oh! I mentioned earlier I bought a new rosary. It's truly a practical move. I bought a fairly plain and inexpensive one to use instead of my Connemara rosary because marble is not a very good material to make a rosary (or truthfully much of anything else) out of. Use of it causes the marble to break down over time, and I'd like to keep it in good condition for as long as possible. The new one is nice enough for what I paid, but the Aves and Paters look more or less the same, and I tend to prefer there be a noticeable difference between them.

Anyway, that's my Wednesday. Tomorrow I've got cleaning and a few more packages, more reading to do, and another baby knit project to cast on. I'm not sure if I should do the booties, the mittens, or the last hat. I've already made a blue hat and a green hat. I'm thinking of doing the booties, and then ignoring her if she suggests that they need to be any longer. I'm extending them by a few stitches, not so much that it'll make it to hard to adjust the pattern, but enough to add the extra inch or so.

Still tempted just to throw the yarn at her.

Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow!
Yours always,
Tara