Friday, August 22, 2014

Powered by egg-rolls

Or at least my step-dad seems to think we are.

I went over to my mom's this morning after mass to make egg-rolls and just spend time with her. She scared the crap out of me, with her standing on her head and all. Apparently, Little Bird is still laying sideways when she needs to turn her little tail feathers around and lay head down, you know, to get ready? And so the mid-wife had advised my mother to lie with her butt up on the couch and her body on pillows on the floor. While she was doing this, my mother started laughing, which apparently hurt really badly and scared the tar out of little old me.

Did I mention that I don't do well with loved ones in pain?

Thankfully she was okay and she no longer has to do that.

The egg-rolls turned out good. The recipe is a traditional Vietnamese recipe that my mom got from a friend of hers who's husband was Vietnamese. Apparently it's his family's recipe. Either way, we've been making them forever and they are delicious. No photo's I'm afraid, but believe me when I say these are better than any egg-roll you've ever had a you local Chinese place.

My mother ate 3 and then had a energy boost, so to speak, P ate a belly full of them, and I ate 3 and got a move on myself, hence why my step-dad thinks that egg-rolls are apparently a power-boost.

I didn't get around to the boxty or the onion marmalade, so I'll have to do those tomorrow.

Sunday we're celebrating my birthday. We're going to go out for lunch after church, so that'll be nice. I spent  about an hour trying to decide where to go because I live for food that's good and cheap, and sadly that's not something you find in restaurants. I've settled on an Italian joint in Savannah, but I won't say where until Monday.

I went to mass this morning, although I almost didn't. For some reason I had a really hard time getting to bed last night and I did not want to get up this morning. I did though, and as always I'm glad that I did.

I'm headed to bed now, but I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Yours always,
Tara