Monday, August 25, 2014

Kit-kat bars and thrice-cursed shawls

Stole, actually, but we're not here to be finicky, dear readers.

About a month before my mother found out she was pregnant, a lady at her church requested that I make her a stole for the Prayer Shawl Companion. I agreed...and promptly regreted it after the third week slogging through the thrice-cursed cabling on the thing! Given that she hasn't been at church and I've been working on other things, the stole has sat abandoned a mere 36 rows shy of completion. She was at church last week and inquired about it. I said I'd have it done by Sunday. That means 36 rows of the misery inducing cables, followed by a complete crochet edging and then washing and blocking. I'm also 10 rows shy of finishing a bootie for Shawna, which leaves me with one more to do and I'm frankly desperate to take a break and knit those Irish Ale socks!

I'm actually hoping against all hope that I'll finish the knitted portion of the stole tonight and then just crochet the edges tomorrow. I'd do it when I get home, but I want to go to mass tomorrow morning. I'll turn 22 tomorrow, and I'd like to start my birthday off properly.

We didn't go out for lunch after church, instead we went to dinner on Saturday. We went to the Macaroni grill, which actually probably wasn't the best idea given how hot it was. Heavy food on the hottest day so far? Not the best idea.

Sunday after mass I stopped by the store and picked up a few things, including hair dye. I'm trying to get my hair back to it's natural light brown color (or as I call it, mouse brown) and would prefer not to look to strange as my hair grows out. I got a natural henna dye, so it shouldn't damage my hair any.

I made boxty and onion marmalade today. I don't know if the marmalade has set properly though, and I'm actually really worried about that. As for the boxty, it was really good, but I don't know how anyone eats a full one. It fills you up really quickly.

Although that might just be because I don't eat a lot in one sitting unless it's Thanksgiving. And even then, I tend to nibble continuously rather than gorge.

Speaking of the coming holiday season, they have Halloween candy out already! YES! hello 2-for-5 kit-kat bars and mini peanut butter cups!

You see the kind of sweet tooth I have.

My socks are taunting me. Sitting there, just two little balls of yarn and two new sets of double points. Taunting me I tell you! But, the booties and the stole come first.

I found this rosary on ebay that I have my heart set on. Of course, as per my usual, I don't intend to bid on it until the last possible moment, even so, fingers crossed!

I'm signing off for the moment, but I'll talk with you later!

Yours always,
Tara