Tuesday, September 30, 2014

RCIA, and shows I need to either catch up on or abandon

Today was week three of RCIA classes. We were in the Lower Chapel tonight, which was interesting because I had only a vague idea of where that was. I got it right, and showed up in the right place, which was a huge relief, but I felt like every move I made was ten times louder than usual. I feel that way most times I enter a church, with a few exceptions.

Anyway, we were discussing the hierarchy in the church and some of the history behind it, which was interesting. I still haven't reached the point where I'm incredibly comfortable or anything, but I imagine I'll be a little less anxious by the time the Holidays roll around.

At least, I hope so.

Speaking of holidays, I'm almost finished with the blanket, which means I'll have to cast on to one of my Christmas knits immediately following that. I'm thinking the shawl for Granma, and then maybe the socks for mom. I have to alter the pattern slightly, because she asked for socks like the yellow ones that I made, but with a fold over cuff. I'll probably add a few stitches and invert the pattern so that when she folds it over, the ribbing faces outwards as it should.

I left early for class this evening because I needed to run into Savannah and I know what a nightmare the traffic can be. I had to go to the mall to pick up a shirt that I had delivered to the store for Aunt D. She saw the one I had and really liked it. Anyway, while there I picked up a new wallet with Daryl from the Walking Dead on it.

Now I like the Walking Dead just fine, but I've really only seen about 4 episodes from the first season. And honestly, I like Daryl because, dude, he has a crossbow. A crossbow! I'm an archery fan, and I've been entertaining thoughts about getting a crossbow for years, as well as getting a better recurve bow (mine being a decent quality, but still cheap set). No compounds though. I firmly maintain that a compound bow is cheating.

Why isn't using a crossbow cheating? Because reload time sucks compared to a standard or compound bow. Accuracy is much improved, but reload is crap.

Anyway! Not the point here. The point is I like Daryl because I can actually see him surviving the apocalypse and I like that he uses a crossbow. That's about it. I still can't get over what an idiot Rick was in the first episode. Yeah, sure, he manned up and took charge, but he's still a bit of an idiot.

But this brings me to my tv problem. See, I don't watch a lot of television, and the stuff I do watch tends to be old (M*A*S*H, I Dream of Jennie, ect), travel related (Anthony Bourdain is my hero), food related, or nostalgia related (American Restoration, American Pickers, Pawn Stars). Add in a dash of Catholic tv, through in a few crappy action films and the entire Disney film collection and you have my film library.

There is a problem with that though. See, I like Doctor Who, I like Walking Dead, I like Sherlock, and Supernatural, and more.....but I don't keep up with the episodes, I'll watch half a season in a day and then not touch it for two months, and I see nothing wrong with spoilers and watch things out of order.

This, apparently, bothers people.

Now let's be honest. I care about what most people think about as much as I speak Greek, that is to say, not at all. However, I do care (stupidly, in this case) what my friends say, and this does bother some of them. So, choices? Either watch, or don't, and try not to get attached to characters you know next to nothing about (Daryl, for example). This is a bit of a problem because I've never cared, and truthfully, don't much care now except for one teeny tiny fact.

It makes me feel awkward.

Yep, say you like a show but only watch a few episodes sporadically and if that show has any sort of fan base some one will be willing to stone you for "not being a real fan". Now I know my friends won't do that, and their ribbing is friendly in nature, but other people aren't so understanding and God knows I'm not a nice person.

We're working on that, but it's very slow going because my brain-to-mouth filter doesn't always kick in before I say something mean.

TV shows can bring out the worst in people and telling them to take a long walk off a short pier is, for some reason, less acceptable than their form bullying.

So, do I watch the shows? Abandon them? Continue with my sporadic and out-of-order enjoyment?

Yeah, we'll go with option C. And hopefully, God will only place idiots in my path when He knows the filter is functioning.

Yours always,
Tara