Monday, September 22, 2014

Inking bust, blanket progress, and rosary news

Saturday was a long, long day, and it was made longer by the fact that I was supposed to be getting a tattoo done....and it never happened.

I'm incredibly disappointed, not only that I didn't get my tattoo, but also that no one had the decency to call and let me know that they wouldn't be there. I had an appointment for 1pm, and of course, I showed up about 15 minutes early. The shop was closed, with a sign that said "Appointment only". Okay, no big deal, like I said, I had an appointment. I knocked. I waited half an hour. I called three times. The place looked like it had pretty much been cleared out. No one called me and said "Hey, we need to reschedule." or even, "you need to find a different tattoo parlor."

So, instead, the money I set aside for my ink is going to a trip to St. Augustine with Aunt D. We're going to go see the shrine to Our Lady of La Leche and the Mission there, and maybe see the Cathedral Basilica while we're there, if it's opened. They're restoring it right now, so we won't see the full splendor, but I heard it's worth visiting anyway.

I guess that's just how life works. I've already started putting back a little money again, and I've got a place in mind for the next time I care to try. Maybe I'll be able to go by the time my sister comes down to visit again. I'll probably head in about a week or two before with my mock up, and a few questions.

In other news, the blanket is still coming along at a slow but steady pace, which wouldn't be a problem except that Little Bird seems very anxious to enter the world. I'm expecting to get a phone call any day now saying that my baby sister is making her entrance into the world. I'd like to have the blanket finished by then, but I've got at least seven squares left, plus the final stitching to make sure it holds up.

I also bought the yarn for my mom's Christmas present today, as well as buying H's Christmas. I was going to make him socks, but he asked for a particular pocket watch, and as a lover of pocket watches myself, it's hard not to encourage that. I'm also looking at maybe visiting my dad this holiday season, which would be nice, except for the fact that I hate the cold.

Of course, I'll be honest and say I don't hate it near as much as I say I do. I just like to whine about it.

In other news, I got the beads for one of the rosaries I have planned today. Black glass pearls and dark blue drop-shaped crystals will look great with the Pieta center and the crucifix that I have to go with it, which depicts Jesus being taken down off of the cross. I'm hoping to get the beads for the Pope Francis/St. Francis of Assisi rosary tomorrow, and then I'll set them aside for my Etsy shop. I still have two crucifixes that I'm not positive what I want to do with them.

Let me rephrase, I don't have a finished product in mind yet. The centers I have will work fine with one of the crucifixes, but I think the other one might need something a little different. Either way, soon as I figure it out, I'll get the beads and get it made.

I've also got a few ideas rattling around for auto-rosaries, including one that can go on the steering wheel, which I liked because I don't feel comfortable handling beads while driving, but I also lose count if I'm not physically touching something. This is why I like to have an obvious difference between the Aves and the Paters. It makes it a little easier to use. The one I saw that hooked onto the steering wheel seems like it'd be a good alternative to my usual practice of using the knuckles on my fingers.

I'll be back on tomorrow to fill you in on my second RCIA class and my adventures with trying to find the right beads. Aunt D will be out of town, so I'm not sure if I'll hang around Downtown or not. I do want to get a wall crucifix, and I've been eyeing a couple of different ones at Saints and Shamrocks. We'll just have to see how willing I am to kill time tomorrow.

Goodnight all!

Yours always,
Tara