Tuesday, September 9, 2014

THe Approach of Autumn

It's September (not that anyone didn't already know that) and autumn is here! It is, technically, a little too early to start on Halloween decorating, not that that stops people. Almost every store is drenched in orange, brown, red, and yellow in one corner, and Orange, slime green, vibrant purples, and black. There's pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns, leaves and creepy looking dead trees, empty fields and full grave-yards.

Now, I am a huge fan of Halloween. I love acting, love dressing up, and love an excuse to watch dorky kid movies (Scary Godmother! It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! Spookable Pooh! The Nightmare Before Christmas!...good for two holidays, that one!) So Halloween, with costumes, candy, and a decent number of kiddie movies, is brilliant! This year, I won't be able to take part in my favorite tradition of passing out candy to trick-or-treaters. I love passing out candy to kids in costumes! So cute. Any way! Not the point!

The point is, my favorite season swiftly approaches. The annual torrential down-pour we get every winter hasn't started, the humidity has blessedly retreated. (This fact can make even hardened atheist praise God). The weather cools off and I can wear long sleeves, cardigans, sweaters, and leggings without risking heat stroke.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the beginning of the Christmas season (which, in my mind, officially begins at the end of the Thanksgiving Day parade because that's when my mother would permit Christmas carols and movies to be dusted off and brought out for our enjoyment.) all come in autumn. 

Also accompanying autumn is Christmas shopping, frantic knitting, school (SCHOOL! *sobbing*) and an over abundance of sweets that demand to be tasted.

I love food. And the foods that are best for the colder months, soups, stews, roasts, heavy pastas, and almost anything with pumpkins or potatoes are my favorites. This is why I fight year round to maintain my (fairly) slim figure. I've already mentioned my great love of Irish food, which tends, as a general rule, to be hot, heavy on potatoes, and made with (really yummy) cheap cuts of meat. Although I may argue that last point on the basis of the price of stew meat the last time I went to the store.

My point is, autumn is here! (basically) and there's a lot to love about the wonderful season we find ourselves in. There's also the impending birth of my sister, the birthdays of both my parents (within a week of each other) and plenty of time to bake as many desserts with pumpkin as I can stand.

This has been an ode to autumn from your friendly neighborhood blogger. Regular posting will resume tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

Yours always,
Tara Hills