Monday, July 28, 2014

Ramblings of a Restless Mind

"But Tara," you say, "you've already posted once today! And your track on blogging, and social media of any kind, shows you burn out on new things quickly!"

Yeah, I know. Believe me, I know. But I'm at work, bored, and have nothing to do. Such is the joy of working the late shift.

I'm also a little disappointed. I've been trying to listen to Catholic Answers Live in the evenings as often as possible, but since the building didn't clear out until right as the program was ending.....that was a bit of a no go. I will say this though, I love modern technology. If it weren't for the internet and iPhone apps, I wouldn't be able to tune into a Catholic Radio station. I don't think we have one in our area.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I've been listening. I'm not a big fan of radio, mostly because there's too much talking. I'm definitely more concerned with the music. Especially in the morning. I don't want to hear you talk. I just want something sweet (and preferably caffeinated) to drink, some good music, and the morning offering I get from The Catholic Company every morning.

I'll say this for my journey with the Church, I'm spending more time reading and learning about God than I have since I was a kid. Oddly enough, I haven't really encountered anything that I've struggled to accept yet.

The Lord, of course, does enjoy a good laugh, and I'm sure my running mental commentary has Him in stitches.
"Not another rosary! I didn't know there were this many in the entire state, much less the tri-county!"
"Oh look! A site that randomly gives you the name of a Saint! I love hist....okay. That's not creepy at all. Hello random saint, who I've never heard of, who's feast day is on my granma's birthday. Nope. Not creepy at all."

*crickets*
The rosary is a bit of grumbling point for me anyway. I enjoy making things using a lot of different mediums, and shortly after I started working with beads I had an idea for a rosary that just wouldn't leave me alone. *sigh*
I mean, don't get me wrong. I love it! But I'd never made anything even remotely like it, and I tend to freak out over projects I don't feel prepared for. A rosary? Heh, yeah....can you see the slightly deformed looking eye-pins?
I was so worried the crucifix would be too large but (surprise, surprise *sarcasm*) it was just the right size. The Aves are Connemara marble, and the Paters are Kilkenny marble. The center is St. Patrick.
Like I said, I love it.....but it was a little odd. I've had my rosary for about three years now, give or take. 

Honestly, I had figured it was for someone. And maybe it is. Maybe I just haven't met that person yet. But for now, I've been fumbling my way along those little beads as best I can.

I just bought some yarn, and two new sets of needles. As soon as I get them, I'm taking a break from baby knitting to try making some socks. I really wanted to buy this one skein of yarn, but sadly, I'm a bit too thrifty to pay $27+ shipping for yarn. Especially since I've never done this before.

Adding to my usual penny-pinching is the fact that I just bought a new iPod to replace the dead one. They usually last about four or five years. I'm hoping this one will last longer, especially since I splurged a little more than the last two times, and bought the 160GB classic. 

My book list is about as long as Route 66. I just added two new ones. Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn and My Treasury of Chaplets by Patricia S. Quintiliani. I haven't received either one yet, but I found Rome Sweet Home on Catholic.com and then saw it again at the Cathedral. And My Treasury of Chaplets came from Life of a Catholic Librarian  whose blog I've just started reading. 

My mind is a swirling vortex of thoughts. It is in these moments, dear readers, that I am at my most vulnerable. I'll spill my heart out before you, if you'll let me. Hopefully it won't be too painful. I have so many fears, so many doubts. Especially in regards to the Catholic church. Oh the doctrine isn't too hard to accept, truthfully. But I feel so loved just sitting there talking to Mary.....it's almost uncomfortable, if that makes any sense. And the Lord has been so patient with me. Like Gideon, I have asked Him three times for a sign, and three times He has given me one. The most recent was St. John of Damascus. His feast day is the same day as my granma's birthday. My granma, who has been my truest comfort, confidant, and friend for my entire life. Even with this, I feel so afraid. My parents love me, but it's nothing like this, and it does scare me somewhat. 
I'm signing off now, dear readers. It's almost time for me to pack up and head home, and I'm tired. I'm prone to crying when I'm tired, which is completely unacceptable right now.

Goodnight all,
Tara