Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Because no one needs to find the right room

Oh I love my job.

You might have caught the sarcasm there.

Here's the thing though, if you're going to have me sit at the front desk, the least you can do is actually let me know there's something going on, and what room it will be in, that way, I don't have to hunt some one down (after everybody else has left!) in order to find out the answer to this person's question! It's not rocket science by any means!

This, of course, is not the first time this has happened, but these classes are generally held before everyone leaves, so I don't have to spend 15 minutes looking for some one!

The good news is that I did get to listen to Catholic Answers Live tonight. I also bought some yarn. I'll probably need to buy a second skein of it, so I can make socks, but it's this really nice yellow ochre with a little orange and khaki subtly mixed in. I've got an awesome pattern off of Ravelry that has a nice cable pattern.

I'm really excited about the Irish Ale socks that I'm planning on. I bought the yarn from knitpicks, so as soon as it comes in, I'll be ready to go. I'm nervous too though. I've been knitting ten years and never made socks. It's not all that surprising though. It's not like I had any one to teach me how to do it. My mother, bless her heart, can't knit or crochet. Counting stitches causes her blood-pressure to rise.

I crochet a little, but it's been a long time. I need to start again though. I have my heart set on this sweater I saw. I've got the pattern, and hopefully enough yarn (I think they discontinued the color) to make it, so maybe.....I'm shooting to finish it by St. Pat's, but considering I haven't even started.....

I also have a flurry of knitting to do in preparation for Little Bird's (I call my sister 'Little Bird') birth, and the fast approaching holiday season. Socks, socks for everyone. Well, not every one.

Just the men.

If they're going to make my life harder than it has to be by answering my yearly question (What do you want for Christmas?) with the standard male "I don't know." Then they get socks!

Plain, ordinary, dull (except the littlest, he get's neons)no-nonsense socks! I can get a little more creative with Dad's, he will appreciate cables or more vibrant colors (still staying with a neutral color palette). But Step-daddy is very much Mr. Old-timey cowboy. Grey socks (black are for Sundays or other dressy occasions) no fun stitches, and thick.

This is the man I nearly poured hot coffee on because he had the nerve to look at a fresh, full pot of coffee that I had just made and say "Is this plain? I don't want the froo-froo stuff." (This when he and my mother were just dating.) You are in mine and my mother's house, you will drink what we have and damn well say "Thank you" after!

I, thankfully, no longer live at home with them, but the man does still get on my nerves with his cow boy thing. He's good with the boys though, and if he and my mother can stop butting heads for two minutes, he might be a good husband. He's going to spoil Little Bird though, I just know it. Mom's already told him that she'll jerk a knot in his tail if he turns their daughter into a brat.

Picture! A 6'3" tall man (skinny as a bean pole, though) with grey hair, shaking in his cowboy boots as his 5'1" tall curly brunette wife (Pregnant!) tells him in no-uncertain terms that he will not spoil their child to ruin. Just thinking about it makes me snicker.

I'm still amazed that my mother has taken the news that I'm considering converting so well. I can't help but wonder if maybe Granma tipped her off. Of course, she knew I had been attending Mass, so maybe that tipped her off enough. Either way, still incredibly thankful that the conversation went well.

The best news I've had thus far, though, is the slightly cooler temperatures that we can expect. I'm not big on hot and humid, and I hate cold and wet. What I really need is some place where the temperature stays between 60-80F all year round. Maybe a few days a little colder, maybe a few days a little warmer, but for the most part it stays right in that comfortable range where I can wear longer sleeves, and pants all the time without dying from the heat.

It's not so bad in the mid-west where my dad lives, where it's hot, but not as humid, because then your clothes don't glue themselves to your body within 2 minutes of walking out your door. Here? Even people like me who do *NOT* like wearing shorts or skirts without leggings underneath are forced to ditch layers or DIE!

So the temperature drop into the 80s is well worth the impending showers.

I have nothing planned for the next two weeks besides work anyhow.

Yours always,
Tara