Thursday, July 31, 2014

Enjoy the silence

This, I will admit without guilt, is one of the best times of my day.

Almost everybody has left and the building is quiet. The only sounds are my keyboard, the music on low in the background (today's pick, a collection of Gregorian chants), and the occasional squeak of the wheels on the Ms. L's cart. (Ms. L cleans the building that I work at.) Here in a few minutes, I'll trade the chants for EWTN to listen to Catholic Answers Live. I'll listen, and knit, and maybe I'll finish this sock tonight, though I won't hold my breath.

After these socks, I have to get back to baby knitting for a while, at least until I finish the stuff for Shawna. I've already accepted that I won't have Little Bird's blanket done before she arrives, even if it was the only thing I was working on, so I'm shooting to have it finished by her first birthday.

I'd shoot for Easter, but with the dresses I want to make her for Christmas and Easter, plus the rest of my Christmas knitting, I figure it's best if I shoot for her birthday. Especially since I also have plans for a Barbar the Elephant King plush toy on my list of knits. Sara Elizabeth Kellner over on Ravelry has a number of gorgeous patterns, including the afore mentioned Elephant King. It even comes with instructions for his suit, bowler hat, royal cape, and crown! How cool is that?

I was thinking about adding a little fun to my Saturdays, boring as they are, by doing a little research into a random saint each Saturday. I have a site that will randomly generate a saint, and if you click the link it tells you more about them. I've always loved the saints stories, even before I considered the Catholic church, so it should be fun.

I also have an enormous knitting list, and a few things on my crochet list. I'm not as fond of crochet, mainly because I'm not as comfortable with it. Probably because I struggle not to crochet too tightly.

It's also a little intimidating because I'm not as familiar with it as I am with knitting. I get so confused with crochet. Especially the really delicate stuff, like fine lace. Knitted lace I can do. Crochet is a different story.

For all that I love my job, there are a number of things about it that drive me nuts! It's like these people have no idea exactly what information is actually needed for me to do my job! I'm not asking for much, but it'd be nice to know what's going on at any given time! And none of what I'd like to make my job easier is hard! Most of it is common sense!

Which makes it all the more obvious why I love the quiet time of day. None of my usual worries, just how best to kill time until I can go home.

Let me know what you think about my idea for Saturdays.

Yours always,
Tara