Monday, October 6, 2014

Almost ready to open shop and parish social events as a non-social person

I've started getting things ready to open my etsy shop soon. Getting pictures taken, figuring out what to make next, and adding other little details to the mix. This isn't the most difficult thing I've done, but it's not easy, especially since I'm not all that good at pricing things. I don't want to price it too low, but at the same time, I definitely don't want to price it too high either.

So far I have several pairs of guitar pick earrings, a necklace and earrings set, a St. Patrick chaplet, and the Pieta Rosary. The rosary was a struggle to make because the wire didn't always want to do what I wanted it too. I'm actually thinking about taking and re-doing a one whole decade because it's a little too long. Don't get me wrong, I loved making it, and it turned out really well, all things considered, but it was a little difficult.

The chaplet also caused me a little trouble because the only St. Patrick medal that I had available was a double sided St. Patrick/St. Brigid medal. Still, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Oh, and I finally made my book music box.
I went a little overboard with the stickers, but I don't think it turned out badly. I've also got a few things in mind for the background on future boxes. The cross statue is actually for those little fairy gardens, I just cut the stake that held in up in the ground off and it was perfect. No lights on this one, just a lot of stickers and a music box movement hidden under that green fabric. It plays When Irish Eyes are Smiling.

I'd like to be able to make some for the store as well, later on. I'm hoping I've just about figured out what I'm doing with them, but you never know.

It's been cooler here the past few days, although the forecast promises that this lovely fall weather won't last. I'm not upset about the nights warming up, but I like wearing long sleeves and jackets so the days warming back up does bother me slightly.

I have a follow up appointment with the doctor tomorrow, which promises to be lots of fun. Actually, it shouldn't be too bad, I just have to whine about it as a principle. At least this time they shouldn't need to stick me with needles.....I hope.

Another thing I'm doing tomorrow is baking. I'm making three batches of Chocolate pumpkin muffins to (hopefully) take to my RCIA class to share. Food sort of acts as a conversation starter, which means I can socialize without feeling awkward.

Speaking of feeling awkward! Last night was the parish Stewardship Appreciation dinner in the park by the cathedral. I went. Thankfully, Aunt D showed up before I could get so uncomfortable as to leave, but it was a close thing. I'm not a social person by nature. I mean, I love people, I like being around people, if I didn't work second shift (and was Catholic instead of "becoming Catholic") I'd be trying to do a lot more. Unfortunately I also have a really hard time socializing.

I'm not comfortable starting conversations, I'm not comfortable taking point, as it were. I need to get to know people....then I never shut up, so be fore-warned, I'm bad about talking too much with people I'm comfortable with.

It makes things like the dinner really hard to enjoy because I'm literally just standing out there in limbo! I knew exactly three people there, and two of them were priests! (Not that that's a bad thing, quite the opposite, it's good to know one's parish's priests.) I managed to relax when Aunt D arrived, but still. It's absolutely terrible.

I'm hoping to visit my Dad this year at Christmas time. It's kind of hard because I have to figure out when I can go, how much it'll cost, and how long I can stay. I looks like I'd really only be able to be there for 5 days, not including travel time. I also would need to get a carry on bag to go for my stuff. Working takes the fun out of travel because if you take time off, you lose pay, and then what? I don't get paid enough as it is, which is why I'm so grateful that I live with my Granma. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be able to afford a place to live.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll talk to ya'll again tomorrow.

Yours always,
Tara