Monday, November 24, 2014

What do you do when your job hits a new low?

Okay, so we recently got a new supervisor and this one is apparently a hands-on, ex-military, 20-something years of experience kind of guy.....and he's going to kill us all through boredom and insufficient hours. Apparently, I can't knit while at work. Go figure! I mean, it's not like I can knit without looking at my yarn or needles, it's not like it's a quiet activity, it's not like people don't ignore me anyway, it's not like I have absolutely nothing to do during an 8 hr shift besides surf the web, knit, and answer phones (which, actually, that last one isn't even part of my job description.

And I do understand why this could be a problem, really, I do. But it's not a problem, and unless it becomes a problem, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to knit in between my rounds and such. It's not like I'm making rosaries, or anything like that. I'd have expected him to tell me I couldn't have my mini-saints before expecting him to say "No knitting." Like, really?

What's really funny is that, for all this guy is hands-on, I've actually only heard from him twice, both times he came here. I mean, really? You don't think to call and say "Hey, I'm your new supervisor."

What gets me is how everyone freaks out over my "crochet" (knitting!!!!) and not over a computer or smart-phone. Now how does that work? Apparently, I can watch movies and play video games on my phone or computer but I can't knit!

I get that some people have a problem with the knitting, but nobody at this location does. In fact, most of them are really cool about it. So like I said, if it's not a problem, why make it into one? Just because someone might get their panties in a bunch? So now I have to find a new way to entertain myself for 8hrs in between my rounds when there is nothing at all to do.

Shouldn't be too hard.

I can read a book, watch a movie, play a game....and look for a new job, because while the knitting thing is irritating, it's got nothing on the hours cut. Plus, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure we don't get holiday pay.

Wishing people cared more about each other and less about "getting the better deal",

Yours always,
Tara