Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The day before Thanksgiving (At least if you're American)

It's Wednesday night, and tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in my little corner of the world. This time, last year, I had two friends, neither of whom lived near me, was working as a janitor (a thankless job that barely paid for the gas my truck needed), was stressed over college, and was lying to myself about the damage my parents' divorce had caused for the third year in a row.

I've come a long ways from there. Now, I have five friends (yay!), two of whom live within a short distance from me, a different job that pays better, no college (though I really do need to go back) and while I'm still trying to work through my problems, I'm doing a lot better. I also have a new baby sister, my relationship with my mother is better, and my journey into the Catholic church is well under-way.

I'm still a little stressed, but I imagine I'll be stressed until they put me in my grave, so I'm really not to worried about that. I feel a lot better, even with all of my ranting.

So, how do I plan on spending my Thanksgiving? Well, I'm going to help Granma cook and clean, I'm going to watch the parade and the Muppet Christmas Carol, I'm going to read A Christmas Carol, set up my Christmas playlist for work, work on my knitting, and just generally enjoy the day.

Thanksgiving officially marks the start of my holiday season, and I'm really looking forward to it.

This year is also the first year that I'll be celebrating Advent. I've got a nice little wreath and candles, and two books, the Magnificat Advent companion and The Little way of Advent. While I don't feel the same kinship to St. Therese that so many seem to, I do find her Little Way to be lovely in it's openness. Both books look promising, and I'm hoping they help me celebrate my first Advent properly.

Anyway, I'm just on to wish all of you a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Yours always,
Tara